Today’s lovely Guest Post is from fellow blogger Becky at A Beautiful Space. Enjoy!
Design blogs like this one really inspire me to make my home gorgeous. I love my home to look nice but as a busy mum on a budget it is simple, speedy, low cost solutions that work best for me. Over at my own blog Family Budgeting I have been undertaking a home makeover on a budget. Along the way I have picked up some fab tips I’d love to share with you here.
- Declutter first and regularly. Be ruthless. It makes a HUGE difference
- Clean well and regularly (including fabrics)
- Fragrance you home gently, plug ins work wonders
- Air it well even in winter
- Know what you like, in spite of trends. It’s your home.
- Have a ‘vision’ for your room (make up a mood board or do a doodle) this will give you focus.
- Rearrange furniture until it feels ‘just right’
- Be unafraid of change, sometimes a small change makes a big difference
- New tea towels, a matching oven glove and brighter light bulbs can TRANSFORM a kitchen. Don’t underestimate what you can achieve with a small outlay.
- Ask a trusted friend for feedback on what is/isn’t working in your home.
- Personal photos make wonderful art work
- Good storage is a sound investment.
- Have a hidden storage space and utilise it well to store what you don’t need.
- Follow William Morris’ advice and just keep the beautiful and useful to hand.
- Photograph children’s art work and sculptures don’t think you need to keep them forever
- Deal with your mail and recycle then respond asap. Piles of mail say you have a neglected home.
- Borrowing from fly lady here but shine your sink each morning and clear your draining rack. Makes life so much easier
- Fresh flowers and a bowl of colourful fruit make a house a home
- The smell of polish good coffee and baking do indeed warm the soul
- Don’t neglect your front door. A sparkling front door and a little tub of lavender next to it present your house beautifully
- Ditch your dead plants and flowers as soon as they go over they just shout I don’t care.
- Keep your home tidy. Messy houses hide away your lovely things.
- Look around for inspiration but always remember who you are and what your family love and want from your home.
- Colours create moods so a little sunshine yellow may be lovely at a breakfast bar and sea green may give you a zesty bathroom. Play around with fabrics and paint pots to get what you want.
- The best homes make the people who live there happy, comfortable and proud. Make sure you can tick these three areas or change something!
Thank you so much Becky, we absolutely LOVE your top tips!