So things appear to be really moving along with the Garden project now, and with the help of some lovely products and plants from Homebase it is all taking shape. If you’ve been following progress so far you’ll know how the garden looked, that I wanted to create a Mediterranean themed garden, and that we’ve reviewed the fantastic Garden on a Roll.
Before I showcase the finished result I wanted to give you a glimpse of what we’ve been doing, particularly how we’ve involved the children. Ever since the children were very little, it’s meant a lot to me that they become involved in the garden. They’ve always had their own little gardening kits and have enjoyed helping me with planting and watering over more recent years. A few years ago we created a little plot in the garden where we could grow some fruit and veggies and we were quite successful, considering it’s not that big. However in recent years, due to a lack of time and inclination on my part it’s become quite overgrown and I’m ashamed to show you how it looked a month or so ago.
Not so much a vegetable patch, more a weed patch!
So as part of the Homebase Garden Makeover project I decided to give it a little revamp and some much needed TLC. The girls were very keen to help.
Firstly we got to work and got rid of all the weeds and then decided it needed a little definition. Many years ago our Victorian house was the proud owner of an outdoor toilet and washhouse. Now when they were dismantled we stockpiled all of the original slate roof tiles and I found them stored at the bottom of the garden gathering cobwebs. As you can see from the next picture, they’ve come in very handy as an edging for the veg patch. I’m sure this will also help to prevent the strawberries spreading any further and taking over the space.
Doesn’t it look neater?
You might also notice the pretty slate bunting that the girls and I made one Sunday afternoon, with some more of the left over slate tiles. It was really easy to do and I think it has given the girls even more pride over the garden, and real sense of ownership of the veg patch.
All we did was clean off the tiles and using acrylic paints from the craft box, drew on our favourite flowers and garden insects and painted them in. It was a lovely creative few hours that everyone enjoyed.
Then when we were finished decorating and the paint was dry, I was able to thread some strong twine through the original nail holes in the tiles to create a bunting effect. Now it took 3 of us to carry it into position but it hung and draped beautifully above the veg patch really bringing it to life. What do you think?
Since then the girls have planted in some of the seeds sent to us in the Homebase Garden on a Roll kit and we’re waiting patiently for them to grow. A few lettuces that we hope to harvest in the early Autumn months, and lots of pretty flowers to brighten up the front of the patch. Next year we will really get to grips with a few more vegetables and give it all a proper go. The plants you see in the patch already are the very lovely Tulameen Raspberry plants which featured in the Homebase Gold winning garden at the RHS Chelsea Flower Show.
For now we’re just enjoying this improved corner of the garden, tending to it and nurturing it to life. Wish us luck!
The BEST Interior Stores in one Place!
A definitive guide to the online and high street interior shops I use for my home and the blog!
Download the FREE Guide now.
I understand that by downloading the guide I may receive direct marketing material in relation to interiors and lifestyle brands and products.