Is Your Home Making You Sick? (And How to Prevent it)

Featured Partner Post

Oh, how nothing beats the feeling of coming home after a long day, putting your feet up on the sofa, and binging the latest series that Netflix churns out. Coming home is a blissful feeling like no other – for most, it’s a safe place and a sanctuary. Or is it? Do you often feel run down? Do you find yourself sneezing every time you’re in your home?

Sometimes, your home might be out to get you unwillingly.

Below, we’ll look at some of the common ways that your home could be making you sick without you knowing it.

Can Your Home Make You Sick?

1. Asbestos

Asbestos is a naturally occurring mineral that was widely used in construction and manufacturing in the 1900s due to its unique properties, such as high tensile strength, heat resistance, and insulating properties. It’s technically safe – as long as you don’t damage the fibres – but they’re easily damaged.

If you inhale these fibres, they can become trapped in the lungs and cause damage over time. Symptoms of asbestos-related diseases may take years to appear, and by the time they do, the damage may be irreversible.

Surveyors can assess the asbestos, if it’s there, in your home, and specialist companies like abruss.co.uk can remove it. According to studies, 1.5 million UK buildings will contain some asbestos, so it isn’t uncommon to find it within homes.

2. Mould

Mould is the bane of many homeowners’ lives, especially in the moisture-ridden bathroom, where it can easily build up. But that’s easy to see and relatively easy to resolve – it’s the mould sitting on the plaster boards that you can’t see that could be the problem.

Mould exposure can have negative effects on your health. Moulds are fungi that grow in warm, damp, and humid conditions. They reproduce by releasing spores that can be carried by air currents and inhaled by humans.

Mould can cause a variety of health problems depending on the individual’s sensitivity to the spores, the type of mould, and the amount of exposure.

You might notice breathing problems, eye irritation, headaches, and constant fatigue. If you see mould or damp patches, don’t delay removing them. Some mould removal sprays work well, but if it has infested your walls, they may need replastering.

3. Dust

Dust and bugs are extremely common, and it doesn’t link to the cleanliness of your home. Dust gathers naturally, and bugs find their way into our homes, often minuscule in size, and have the potential to wreak havoc on our health.

Dust can cause similar symptoms to mould – allergies, itching, and irritation. Regular dusting can prevent these flare-ups, including the areas you wouldn’t think to dust, like the top of door frames and behind radiators. Dusting once a week should prevent any dust-related health repercussions.

Do you feel like your home is out to get you? Of course, there are numerous other potential health issues that could be causing you to feel run-down often, but perhaps looking at your home is a good place to start if you’re struggling to find a cause.


Further Reading

How to Save Money Cleaning

How Good Ventilation Leads to a Healthier Home


Jen Stanbrook
Jen Stanbrook

Jen is an award winning digital publisher and has been creating interiors and home decor content for over 10 years.
She has an insatiable love of home interiors, has worked with hundreds of brands, and currently supports many bloggers within the creative industries to share their expertise through writing.
She spends most of her time in her little garden office pod, has 2 daughters and 2 (fighting) cats.

Find me on: Web | Twitter | Instagram

Featured Partner Post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.