With the seasons changing and new lines and ranges hitting the shops daily, you may be wanting to spruce up your living room ready for the Winter. Perhaps you are the kind of person who likes to update your cushions and throws to cope with chillier evenings or maybe you like to put the winter curtains back up. However you like to update your living room for the coming season, hopefully I can give you some fresh ideas to think about this year.
20 Easy Ways to Update your Living Room:
1. Declutter and re-organise tidying away leftover magazines and newspapers and finding homes for toys, books and general clutter. The room will instantly start to feel fresh again.
2. If the room is prone to being messy set aside half an hour each week to put everything away. Or better still do it for 10 minutes every day. This way the clutter won’t build and the room will always be tidy and inviting.
3. Give the whole room a really good clean, including the windows. The low sun in the Autumn will show up all kinds of smudges and smears so best to get rid of them now.
4. Think about getting the carpets cleaned too. Or if you have them, restain the wooden floors. You’ll be amazed at the difference it can make.
5. The arrival of Autumn doesn’t mean we have to forgo fresh flowers. Sunflowers can look stunning on the fireplace at this time of year. Treat yourself to a bunch and brighten up the whole room.
6. Do you have enough storage in the room? If not, think about adding some hidden storage in a coffe table or new tv unit for example. Ikea have some great affordable pieces that look fantastic in a modern home.
7. Create a feature wall in a weekend by adding some stunning wall stickers, wallpaper or simply painting in a new tone. Blues are very popular this season and can look gorgeous in a living area.
8. If it needs it, think about giving the room a freshen up with a new paint colour. Farrow and Ball have launched some gorgeous new paint colours that will look stunning in most living rooms.
9. Box up your summery cushions and bring in the faux fur and wool versions for the Winter.
10. Take a good look at how you use the space? Does the room feel cluttered? Would it benefit from moving the furniture around at all? Doing this can instantly make a room feel new and reborn.
11. Update the soft furnishings, and if your living room is neutral you can totally change the way it looks by updating the cushions, rugs and throws. Either way, adding fresh interest and colour with soft furnishings is definitely the way to give your living room an overhaul.
12. Inspect your furniture thoroughly, does your sofa cover need laundering? Is the leather in need of a good feed? Or do you need to replace it altogether perhaps? Corner sofas are a great way to modernise your living room and are great for family living.
13. Adding candles and strings of fairy lights are a lovely way to add a romantic mood to the room, and with the evenings drawing in they inject some extra lighting interest into the room too.
14. Check out the homes and interiors magazines, as well as Pinterest for inspiration on how to add new trends into your current scheme. Maybe you love the rustic luxe look, or you fancy some new brights, or even a little monochrome. Whatever your choice is, always remember to inject your own personality into the look.
15. Changing the rug is a great way to completely alter the balance of colour in the room. I’ve just done this myself and am amazed at the difference.
16. Create a cosy haven on a cold Autumn evening by popping the fire on, lighting the candles and snuggling under a warm, furry throw.
17. Adding some new wall art is an inexpensive way to alter the mood of the room. A new wall collage needn’t cost a lot and can include favourite family photographs too.
18. Don’t be afraid to move ornaments and knick knacks around from other parts of the house. Just a few new bits can add a completely different look when moved around.
19. Do you need new furniture? Be creative and upcycle old wood pallets to make a coffee table or shelving unit.
20. Hang a mirror. It can instantly bounce more light around the room and enhance the feeling of space in a smaller living room.
The BEST Homes and Interiors Shops
A definitive guide to the online and high street interior shops I use for my home and the blog!