Last month I had the pleasure of working with a collaboration of Dutch Orchid Growers called Orchids Info – Art of Life, promoting Day of the Orchid in London.
We took over the wonderful made.com showroom in Soho and created something truly magical with over one hundred different orchids.
The idea was to showcase how to style your home with orchids, and how to make the most of this incredible plant and flower.
Tips for Using Orchids in your Home:
- Forget about symmetry, be more eclectic and random in your styling. Remember odd numbers work well, anything in 3’s or 5’s for example will look great.
- Use contrasting fabrics and materials to hold the plants. Anything from fur to hessian to concrete will add a juxtaposition and bring the flower to life.
- Wire baskets in copper or bronze can create a focal point with the orchid. Why not hang them from the ceiling or put several plants in one oversized container for a more powerful look.
- The flower is the real focal point so create your own colour palette of orchids for more impact. Work them into your room’s colour scheme or use them as an accent colour to liven up the space.
- Don’t be afraid to experiment. Introducing plants into your decor has become very on-trend and worth investing in. Treat yourself to a few Orchids and play around with the positioning and styling, you’ll be pleased you did.
Orchids are readily available throughout the UK, at supermarkets, DIY stores and garden centres. It’s more than likely your plant is grown in Holland, and supplied by the Dutch orchid growers.
They’re really easy to look after too. Simply sit them in water for 10 minutes once a week, less in the winter, and then remove and replace back in their container. You can add orchid food, and spray some varieties with a fine mist too. Once they’ve flowered, cut back the stems ready for new growth next season.
I do hope you feel inspired to use more Orchids in your home decor, they really are an asset and help bring a scheme to life. And if not, there’s nothing greater than giving one as a gift.
The BEST Interior Stores in one Place!
A definitive guide to the online and high street interior shops I use for my home and the blog!
Download the FREE Guide now.
I understand that by downloading the guide I may receive direct marketing material in relation to interiors and lifestyle brands and products.