I’ll admit, I usually get my flowers at Tesco, chop off the ends and leave them in a tall vase of water until they die a week later. Nothing wrong with that I hear you say. Well same here I thought, until I was recently shown otherwise at a flower event the other week.
In collaboration with the lovely people from Bloomon, I went to the Houzz offices in London to experience the beautiful Bloomon products and learn some invaluable lessons about looking after flowers.
You may remember that my home was featured on Houzz earlier in the year. If not, go and take a peak now, but come back straight away! It’s a fabulous site for inspiration and ideas on designing your home, packed full with images from real homes that you will love.
The Houzz offices were very inspiring and it was great to meet the team behind the site. Oh and brunch was pretty lovely too.
So, as I mentioned, I’ve never really given much thought to how I display and look after my flowers. The Bloomon flower arranging session was led by flower stylish Stuart Fenwick who had a wealth of information to share.
I thought I’d put some of his top tips together in the hope that it might inspire you to think more about your flowers, how you display them and ultimately look after them. I know I’ve completely changed my view since the session and so I hope you feel just as inspired.
Top Tips for Caring for Flowers:
- There are no strict rules on how you display your flowers in the vase. Do what you love!
- Create a ‘wigwam’ effect with your stronger stems. Rest the softer stems on the structure.
- You only need a few inches of water in the vase. Don’t fill it all the way up, you’ll drown the flowers
- Trim the stems by an inch before immersing in the water
- For a more woody stem, trim and slit at the bottom to allow the water to penetrate more easily
- Change the water every 2 days. Add the tiniest drop of bleach to clean water to kill any bacteria
- Keep away from strong sunlight or your blooms will be over too quickly.
- Keep cats away from Lilies as the pollen is poisonous to them.
Stuart believes you need flowers in the home all the time. They lift the spirits, help the atmosphere and of course, they are great for bringing colour and vitality to any room.
He also believes every home needs at least 16 plants! Do this and you’ll notice how much the air in the home changes. You can feel the difference as you walk through the door. I’d never considered this, but I’m a total convert and have been buying a plant on each of my trips out to the shops. I’m not at 16 yet, but I’m getting there!
So, are you inspired to try something new and different with your flowers?
Want to give Bloomon a go? They deliver all over the country, with 3 different sized options. They believe we should all have flowers over the home at all times and have set up their site to encourage that. You can find out more HERE.
And don’t forget, if you’re planning a revamp anywhere in your home, Houzz will have the best inspiration from homes just like yours, so why not check them out.
The BEST Homes and Interiors Shops
A definitive guide to the online and high street interior shops I use for my home and the blog!