Typically, your bedroom is the place you’ll retire to; an escape from the stresses of day-to-day life and a sanctuary of unadulterated privacy and relaxation and a place for some much-needed rest and recharging of your overworked batteries.
In order to make the most of your bedroom space, you need to think about the most suitable design for your needs. By creating a room that combines comfort and practicality with a modern twist, you can look forward to having a space where you can relax and rejuvenate which is also attractive and functional. How do we create the perfect bedroom?
Tips to help you Create a Modern Bedroom
Having a modern bedroom doesn’t mean that you can’t also have a cosy, inviting and comfortable bedroom. There are a number of ideas that will enable you to add a contemporary and stylish touch to your bedroom in order to create the perfect space for relaxation. Some tips to help you to create a wonderfully cosy bedroom area include the following.
- Bedroom colours: don’t be afraid to think outside the box when it comes to colours for your bedroom. While some people find creams and neutral colours to be perfect for their tastes, others prefer more vibrant colours to add warmth, depth and character to the room. If you do decide upon a particular colour, make sure you use different variations and shades of the shade throughout the room. You should avoid using colours that are too dark, as these can make the room look dingy and cramped. However, combing light and dark colours, including black and white, can create a really sleek and interesting contrast.
- Lighting for your room: the right lighting can help to add an ambient touch to any bedroom and modern lamps in striking designs can help to brighten it up. Choose a modern lightshade or pendant for your central ceiling light, as this can make a big difference to the overall finish and look. You may even want to consider contemporary wall lights over your bed, which will not only add a modern touch but will be ideal for reading beneath.
- Choose the right bed: You can get some fabulous modern beds these days, such as metal-framed ones or stylish faux-leather bedsteads that look really chic. The bed is the focal point in all bedrooms, so choosing the right bedstead to provide that modern finish is vital.
- Choose white or light bedroom furniture: having dark furniture in the bedroom can make it look somewhat old-fashioned and morose if you don’t choose carefully. Instead, opt for either white or light-coloured wooden furniture when it comes to items such as bedside cabinets, chests of drawers and other items you have in your bedroom. This will make the room look bigger thanks to the light shades while also creating a fresh, airy finish.
- Invest in storage: one thing you don’t want if you are trying to create a sleek, modern bedroom is clutter. You should therefore invest in storage so that you can get rid of such stuff from around the room. You could even invest in furniture that has storage incorporated, like a bed with built-in storage. This will help to keep your bedroom looking clean and clear and contribute to the overall contemporary look.
- Choose blinds for your windows: for an additional modern twist in your bedroom, you can opt or blinds for your windows rather than traditional curtains. These look more slick and modern, and you can choose from a range of colours and styles these days to suit your needs.
- Modern flooring: carpeting in the bedroom, though cosy, isn’t to everyone’s taste, as some find that it looks quite old-fashioned. For a modern twist, you can opt for laminate flooring in your bedroom and then add some warmth and depth by using soft rugs on the floor.
Creating the perfect bedroom with a modern twist doesn’t mean that you have to spend a fortune on buying lots brand-new new items for your room. Often, it is just a case of putting modern finishing touches to your existing bedroom and choosing the right colours to complement them. This can help to create a space that is comfortable and aesthetically appealing as well as practical and modern.
The BEST Homes and Interiors Shops
A definitive guide to the online and high street interior shops I use for my home and the blog!