One day it will happen, one day we will wake up and Summer will have arrived. Let’s believe it. But what happens when the sun comes streaming through your kitchen window? Well in my case I suddenly notice how shabby and tired the room really looks. The brighter light has the effect of showing us that Winter has taken its toll on our kitchen and that months of cooking with the windows shut tight have left us with a tired, lifeless room.
So how can we go about freshening and brightening our kitchen in a few easy steps. I’d been giving this some thought recently after looking around my own room and here are a few ideas I’ve come up with.
Give Your Kitchen a Fresh, Summer Feel in 25 Easy Steps
1. Clear the surfaces of piles of filing and kids artwork. Find a home for all the paperwork and clear the decks.
2. Declutter the cupboards and throw out anything old and broken. Re organise the cupboards so you can access to everything you need.
3. Check under the sink and restock the cleaning supplies; you’re going to need them
4. Start the deep clean process with the cooker. Clean out the oven and degrease the hob.
5. Once the cupboards have been reorganised, give them a good clean before filling them again.
6. Remember to clean the windows, glass doors, cupboard fronts and handles. Wash down chairs and tables.
7. Sweep or vacuum the floor, and give it a really good wash.
8. Sort out your food cupboards or pantry and throw away anything out of date. Re-organise into sensible groupings so everything is easy to find.
9. Do the same to your fridge and don’t forget to de-ice the freezer if you need to (not all models need this)
10. Once everything is decluttered and cleaned look at the décor and decide if it needs touching up or repainting.
11. Cleaning paintwork especially white skirtings can make a huge difference to the brightness in a kitchen
12. Clear what you display on the worktops and rethink the layout. Ensure the kettle is near the mugs, chopping boards are with the knives near the hob and the microwave is within easy reach.
13. Throw out your old washing up bowl and sink drainer and treat yourselves to new ones. Shops like Wilkinsons do great value, modern kitchen accessories.
14. Take yourself to the Garden Centre and buy some fresh herb plants for the windowsill to brighten your view.
15. If the kitchen blind is looking a bit tired and dull, treat yourself to a new one. Check out lots of high street and online retailers to find one that suits your style.
16. Get some new mugs, new teatowels, and some new accessories for displaying around the room.
17. Fresh flowers always bring a room to life and the kitchen is no exception.
18. If you have a table, treat yourself to a new tablecloth or cover and display a bowl of fresh fruit.
19. In the evening, ensure all the lights are working and change any blown lightbulbs.
20. Choose some of your favourite family photographs and create a wall collage from your last summer holiday.
21. Paint the backdoor in a fresh white, or co-ordinating colour.
22. Add some wallpaper or a bright new colour and create a feature wall.
23. The right lighting in a room can make a huge difference so add some new lamps or invest in directional lighting for the worktops.
24. Boring but essential, replace your bin for a new, cleaner one.
25. Make your favourite meal and sit in your fresh, brightened room and enjoy!
Disclosure: Commissioned Post