Let’s take a look at the key elements which make up the boho office design that’s become so popular in recent years. The perfect boho office is one that works well with the rest of your home decor, that feels sleek and uncluttered and affords you a chic style in which to work.
What are the key elements of boho decor?
Boho decor is characterized by its eclectic, free-spirited, and relaxed style. While there is no strict rulebook for boho style, certain elements are commonly found in bohemian-inspired spaces.
Here are 10 key elements of boho decor:
- Natural Materials: Boho decor often incorporates natural materials such as wood, rattan, bamboo, jute, and macrame. These materials add warmth, texture, and an organic feel to the space.
- Layered Textiles: Layering textiles is a hallmark of boho decor. Mix and match patterns, colors, and textures in rugs, tapestries, throws, pillows, and curtains to create a cozy and inviting atmosphere.
- Vibrant Colors: Embrace vibrant and rich colors in your boho decor on a base of white walls. Think jewel tones, earthy hues, and pops of bright and bold colors. Don’t be afraid to mix and match different colors to create a lively and energetic space.
- Global and Cultural Influences: Boho decor draws inspiration from various cultures and places around the world. Incorporate elements like Moroccan lanterns, Indian textiles, African prints, or Mexican ceramics to infuse a sense of wanderlust and cultural diversity.
- Plants and Greenery: Bring the outdoors in with an abundance of plants and greenery. Boho decor often includes hanging planters, potted plants, and trailing vines to add life, freshness, and a touch of nature to the space.
- Vintage and Thrifted Finds: Embrace the charm of vintage and thrifted items in your boho decor. Look for unique furniture pieces, retro accessories, antique trinkets, or one-of-a-kind art to add character and a sense of history to your space.
- Mix of Patterns: Boho decor embraces a mix of patterns, from bold geometric prints to intricate floral motifs, some in neutral colors. Layer different patterns in textiles, wallpapers, and artwork for a playful and eclectic look.
- Comfortable and Cozy Seating: Create inviting and cozy seating areas with plush cushions, floor poufs, low-profile sofas, or oversized armchairs. Focus on comfort and relaxation to encourage a laid-back and casual atmosphere.
- Eclectic Art and Collections: Display an assortment of artwork, photographs, and personal collections that reflect your unique style and interests. Mix paintings, prints, tapestries, and handmade crafts to add visual interest and a personal touch.
- Personalized Touches: Infuse your boho decor with personal touches that reflect your personality and experiences. Showcase mementos from travels, DIY projects, or sentimental objects to create a space that feels uniquely yours.
What is a boho office?
Boho office spaces refers to workspaces or office areas that are decorated and styled in the bohemian or boho aesthetic. Boho, short for bohemian, is a design style that embraces a free-spirited, eclectic, and relaxed approach. A boho office typically incorporates elements such as natural materials, layered textiles, vibrant colors, and plenty of plants to create a visually appealing and inspiring workspace.
Boho office decor ideas include furniture made from natural materials like wood or rattan, layered rugs or tapestries on the floor, colorful and patterned curtains or blinds, and an abundance of plants and greenery. The decor may include vintage or thrifted furniture pieces, eclectic artwork, and a mix of textures and patterns in cushions, throws, and accessories. It’s a space that promotes a creative and relaxed atmosphere, often with a touch of global or cultural influences.
A boho office should be a welcoming and inspiring place to work, combining the comforts of home with a unique and artistic style. Bohemian decors in your chic home office allows for self-expression, personal style, and a sense of freedom in the work environment.
Here are 25 quick and simple ideas to add boho decor to your home office space.
- Use a mix of vibrant and earthy colors in your office, such as deep reds, turquoise, ochre, and terracotta.
- Incorporate layered textiles, such as colorful rugs, tapestries, and throw pillows, to add texture and warmth.
- Hang macrame wall hangings or curtains to add a bohemian touch to your office.
- Display a collection of eclectic artwork or prints on the walls in a gallery wall style.
- Incorporate natural elements like desk plants, dried flowers, pampas grass or branches to bring in a fresh and organic vibe.
- Use a vintage or antique desk as the centerpiece of your office space.
- Install floating shelves to display boho-inspired decor items like dreamcatchers, crystals, and lovely plants.
- Opt for furniture with natural materials like rattan, bamboo, or wicker.
- Layer colorful and patterned cushions on your office chair or seating area.
- Hang string lights or fairy lights to create a cozy and magical ambiance.
- Place a vintage,patterned or colorful rug under your desk to add warmth and visual interest.
- Decorate your desk with eclectic accessories like mismatched vases, antique trinkets, or handmade pottery.
- Utilize wall-mounted or hanging organizers made of natural materials, like woven baskets or wooden crates, to keep your office supplies organized.
- Install a chalkboard or corkboard to display inspiring quotes, photos, or to-do lists to double up as a boho pin board.
- Hang a beaded curtain or doorway divider to create a bohemian entrance to your office space.
- Use a mix of patterned and textured fabrics for window treatments, such as flowing curtains or bamboo blinds.
- Create a cozy reading nook in your office with a vintage armchair, a floor lamp, and a pile of boho-style books.
- Display a collection of vintage or thrifted globes, unique items, various pots and bold touches to inspire wanderlust and exploration.
- Hang a collection of vintage mirrors or Moroccan-inspired mirrors on the walls to reflect light and add depth.
- Incorporate a comfortable and stylish daybed or chaise lounge for relaxation or brainstorming sessions.
- Utilize woven or rattan storage baskets to keep your office supplies organized and add a bohemian touch.
- Hang a large dreamcatcher above your desk for positive vibes and to add a whimsical element.
- Install open shelving to display a mix of boho-inspired decor items, books, and plants.
- Use a mix of colorful and mismatched chairs around a communal table for a unique and bohemian seating arrangement.
- Incorporate a small meditation or yoga area with a comfortable floor cushion, a diffuser, and plants to create a peaceful and calming workspace.
What’s the best boho office color scheme?
The best modern boho color scheme for a home office combines earthy and neutral tones with pops of vibrant and saturated colors. Here’s a few suggested color schemes that blends modern elements with boho-inspired aesthetics:
- Neutral Base: Start with a neutral base to create a clean and contemporary backdrop. Consider using shades like white, off-white, cream, or light gray for the walls, ceiling, and larger furniture pieces.
- Earthy Accents: Add earthy tones to bring warmth and grounding to the space. Incorporate shades like terracotta, sandy beige, warm browns, or muted greens in smaller accent pieces such as rugs, curtains, or upholstered chairs.
- Vibrant Pops: Introduce pops of vibrant colors to energize the space and reflect the boho spirit. Opt for jewel tones like deep blues, emerald greens, rich purples, or bold oranges in accessories such as throw pillows, artwork, or decorative objects.
- Metallic Touches: Incorporate metallic accents to add a modern and luxurious feel. Consider using copper, gold, or brass in light fixtures, desk accessories, or frames.
- Natural Wood: Integrate natural wood elements to enhance the boho aesthetic. Choose furniture or shelving made from warm-toned woods like oak, walnut, or teak. The natural texture and grain of wood will add depth and visual interest to the office.
- Serene Blues and Greens: Include serene shades of blues and greens to evoke a calming and peaceful atmosphere. Consider incorporating soft blues reminiscent of the ocean or muted greens inspired by nature in elements like curtains, rugs, or accent chairs.
- Boho Patterns: Infuse boho patterns into the color scheme through textiles, wallpapers, or artwork. Look for geometric prints, Moroccan-inspired patterns, or floral motifs in colors that complement the overall palette.
Boho office furniture ideas:
Here are a few perfect pieces for your boho home office that make working from home a more comfortable and enjoyable experience. It’s not an exhaustive list of course, but with some thought on how to incorporate a modern boho design into your work space coupled with the right finishing touches, you’ll have a stylish and practical bohemian office.
- Bohemian computer desk: The ideal boho office desk is one that
- Boho office chair:
- Open shelving storage unit: Ideal for green foliage, a variety of plants and a great way to add extra space to the room.
What’s the best boho desk style?
Bohemian desks can take many different shapes and forms. Here are a few of our favourites.
- Natural Wood Desk: Opt for a desk made from natural wood with a warm and rich tone. Look for desks that feature natural grain patterns and textures, such as a solid wood desk or one with a wood veneer finish. This choice embraces the organic and earthy elements of boho design.
- Mid-Century Modern Desk: Consider a mid-century modern desk with clean lines and tapered legs. Look for desks with a combination of wood and metal accents, which will blend a contemporary aesthetic with a boho vibe. The simplicity of mid-century design provides a modern touch to your boho office space.
- Rattan or Wicker Desk: Embrace the boho aesthetic fully by choosing a desk made from rattan or wicker. These natural materials add a textural element to your office and create a relaxed and tropical vibe. Look for a desk that features intricate weaving or detailing for added visual interest.
- Vintage or Antique Desk: Incorporate a vintage or antique desk for a boho office with character. Look for desks with ornate detailing, curvaceous shapes, or unique finishes. The charm and history of vintage pieces can add an eclectic and bohemian touch to your workspace.
- Minimalist Desk with Boho Accessories: If you prefer a more modern and minimalist desk, you can still infuse boho elements through accessories. Choose a sleek and simple desk and accessorize it with boho-inspired items such as colorful rugs, eclectic desk organizers, woven baskets for storage, or vibrant planters with trailing vines.
- Customized or DIY Desk: Create a personalized boho desk by customizing or repurposing furniture. Consider painting a plain desk with boho-inspired colors or patterns, adding unique drawer pulls or knobs, or incorporating a colorful and patterned desktop cover. Let your creativity shine through and make the desk truly yours.
Then don’t forget to set up your workstation with your computer, screen, and all the tech necessary to work from home including a good VPN for internet protection.
Small Home Office Decor Ideas:
If you’re using a small space to create your own boho office, you’ll want some decor ideas that suit the environment. We have some great ideas for decorating a small home office in the boho style.
- Optimize Space with Functional Furniture: Choose furniture that serves a dual purpose to maximize the use of space in a small home office. Look for desks with built-in storage compartments, floating shelves for vertical storage, or multifunctional pieces like a desk with attached bookshelves. This allows you to incorporate storage solutions without sacrificing style.
- Embrace Light Colors and Natural Light: Light colors create an illusion of openness and brightness in a small space. Opt for a light and neutral color palette for the walls, furniture, and larger elements of the office. Additionally, make the most of natural light by keeping windows uncovered or using sheer curtains to allow sunlight to fill the space, creating an airy and inviting atmosphere.
- Utilize Wall Space for Vertical Storage: In a small office, it’s crucial to make use of vertical space for storage and organization. Install floating shelves, wall-mounted organizers, or a pegboard to keep essentials within reach without cluttering the desk or floor. This not only maximizes storage but also adds visual interest to the walls.
- Add Plants and Greenery: Incorporate plants and greenery to infuse life and a natural element into your small home office. Choose low-maintenance plants that thrive indoors, such as succulents, pothos, or snake plants. Place them on shelves, windowsills, or hang them in macrame planters to add a touch of boho charm while purifying the air and creating a calming environment.
- Mix Textures and Patterns: Introduce a mix of textures and patterns to add depth and visual interest to your small home office. Layer rugs with different textures, incorporate patterned cushions, and add a variety of textiles like woven baskets or curtains. Mix and match patterns such as geometric prints, tribal motifs, or botanical designs to achieve a boho-inspired look while keeping the space visually engaging.
Remember, when working with a small home office, it’s important to declutter and keep the space organized. A bohemian decor tends to be quite vibrant, so you may want to adopt of sleeker more contemporary style for your small home office.
Your beautiful boho office should be a place of creativity and calm where you can be inspired by your favorite plants, wall art, colorful textures and metallic flashes.