As the landscape changes outside, changing the theme of your interior might just be the best way to celebrate the season. As we turn away from the long, sunshine-soaked summer days, it’s important to make home feel like a cosy sanctuary.
Whether you’re renting or you’ve bought your house, giving your décor a makeover doesn’t need to be expensive. Since the space you’re surrounded by plays a huge part in helping you feel calm, happy, and healthy, it’s always worth making the effort.
When it comes to autumnal designs, we love warm tones, cosy materials, and natural textures. No matter your budget, it’s always worth knowing the best decorative tips for autumn.
Cozy Bedroom Paint Color Ideas
If you’re wondering what color to paint your cozy bedroom walls then look no further than our comprehensive list of our 10 favourite shades.
- Burgundy Red: A deep, rich red adds instant warmth and creates a cozy, inviting atmosphere.
- Forest Green: This shade brings the calming qualities of nature indoors and works especially well in bedrooms.
- Charcoal Gray: A dark gray adds depth and sophistication while keeping the room cozy.
- Deep Navy: This color is almost like a neutral but adds a significant amount of depth and warmth.
- Burnt Orange: Perfect for autumn, this color adds warmth and a touch of retro chic.
- Chocolate Brown: A rich, deep brown makes the room feel like a warm hug, especially when paired with soft lighting.
- Plum: This color is warm but also adds a touch of luxury and elegance to a bedroom.
- Olive Green: A muted, earthy green that’s less vibrant but still cozy, offering a slightly different feel from forest green.
- Slate Blue: Though it’s a cooler color, the gray undertones can make it quite cozy and serene, especially when paired with warm textiles.
- Mustard Yellow: If you’re looking for something brighter yet still warm, mustard yellow can create a cozy, cheerful environment.
Cozy Bedroom Color Schemes
The true magic of the season is found in the colours of Autumn. Deep crimson, vibrant yellows and striking orange tones contrast with the remaining green leaves on trees and the deep, earthy brown hues on the ground.
Experimenting with colour allows you to let your creativity flow. You could go for a feature wall, or perhaps strip back the paint to reveal authentic brickwork for that rustic feel.
- Earthy Browns and Creams: This color scheme brings the warmth of nature indoors. Browns can make a room feel grounded and secure, while creams lighten up the space, making it feel snug but not claustrophobic.
- Deep Reds and Oranges: These warm hues evoke a sense of warmth and comfort, like a roaring fire. Red can be quite stimulating, so use it sparingly as an accent color. Orange provides a softer touch but still brings warmth to the room.
- Rich Purples and Golds: Purple, especially when mixed with gold accents, can create a luxurious yet cozy atmosphere. The color purple is often associated with royalty and opulence, while gold adds a touch of elegance and warmth.
- Dark Greens and Tans: These colors mimic the natural elements of trees and earth, creating a calming, cozy ambiance. Dark green is soothing and works well with natural materials like wood, while tan helps to keep the room from feeling too dark.
- Navy and Warm Gray: While cool in nature, navy can become quite cozy when paired with warm grays or creamy whites. This combination can make your bedroom feel like a cozy cocoon, perfect for hibernation during the colder months.
These color schemes have the benefit of not only making a room feel cozy but also evoking emotional responses that enhance that coziness. They can be easily incorporated through paint, bedding, curtains, and decorative elements, allowing you to layer textures and patterns for a truly cozy feel.
Cozy Bedding Ideas
A comfortable bed forms the basis of your bedtime routine. To go to sleep near the time you’d like to, you need to feel happy to be getting into bed in the first place. Whether you prefer a firm or soft feel, choosing the right mattress for you is vital. Choosing a quality mattress might feel expensive upfront, but it’ll be more than worth the cost.
As the temperature drops, changing your bedding is just as important. To keep warm through chilly nights, opting for soft and natural bedding promises a good night’s sleep. Natural fibres are proven to keep you warm, but they’re breathable too – so you’ll never feel too hot under your duvet…
Cozy Duvets for Cozy Bedrooms
You might prefer to switch up your bedding entirely. Whether you use a natural goose down or a synthetic filled duvet, the TOG rating indicates just how much warmth it will offer you while you’re tucked up in bed. In summary, the tog ratings are as follows:
- 4.5 tog duvets feel lightweight, and they’re best suited to summer months.
- 7.5-10 tog duvets are slightly heavier but might not keep you cosy on the coldest nights. If you prefer to layer with a blanket on top of your duvet, this could be the choice for you.
- 12+ tog duvets are ready to keep you warm through the chilliest months of the year. It’s worth bearing in mind that a duvet this heavy won’t be suitable for summer unless you’re using air conditioning at home.
Cozy Bedroom Aesthetics
While you’re choosing your new bedding and other soft furnishings for your bedroom, it’s critical to keep material in mind. You might prefer brushed cotton, which is a proven winter favourite for families across the UK. If you’re feeling luxurious, silk has relaxing properties too.
We love pairing cotton with other textured, high-quality natural fibres like hessian, lamb’s wool, or jute.
Why not add a thick woven blanket on top of your bed to achieve that ultimate cosy effect? Or, to incorporate neutral tones around other parts of your bedroom, you could add a hessian rug, natural wicker baskets, or even beautiful matching lampshades to sit on top of your beside tables.
Cozy Bedroom Accessories
Once you’ve got an idea of the colour scheme you’d like to use in your home, you can try out some prints. This might not be your natural approach if you prefer a minimalist interior, but you might be surprised to see the effect of just one small pattern somewhere in your bedroom.
Seasonal comfort can be achieved through layering. In the bedroom, this could be best achieved with a patterned blanket, or perhaps one with a leafy print instead. Alternatively, adding a houseplant could make you feel more relaxed in your bedroom – and welcomes that lovely, comforting dark green colour we seek in autumn.
Geometric prints and shapes with clean-lines won’t work too well for an autumnal feel. Instead, focus on natural imagery and prints made by nature. Flowers, fauna and foliage all emanate a warm, autumnal atmosphere when they’re used sparingly in any part of your interior.
Cozy Bedroom Ideas on a Budget
- Thrifted Throw Blankets: Visit your local thrift store or check out online marketplaces to find gently-used throw blankets. Drape them over your bed or a chair to instantly add a cozy vibe.
- DIY Fairy Lights: Rather than splurging on expensive lighting, get a set of battery-operated fairy lights and string them around your headboard or drape them from a shelf. The warm, twinkling lights will create a cozy ambiance.
- Area Rugs on a Budget: You don’t need an expensive rug to cozy up your space. Look for discounted or second-hand rugs and place one beside your bed. It will give your feet something warm and soft to step on every morning.
- Pillow Covers: If you already have throw pillows, consider getting new covers for them in autumnal shades like deep reds, oranges, or browns. This small change can make a big difference in the coziness of the room.
- Curtain Hacks: Instead of buying new, heavyweight curtains, layer what you have with inexpensive sheer curtains. The added texture will not only make your windows look more appealing but also provide an extra layer of insulation for those cool autumn nights.
- Repurpose and Rearrange: Sometimes you don’t need new items—just a new arrangement. Move furniture around to create a more intimate setting, or repurpose items from other parts of the house to refresh your bedroom’s look without spending a dime.
By using these tips, you can achieve a cozy bedroom makeover perfect for autumn without breaking the bank.
Cozy Small Bedroom Decor Ideas
- Layered Bedding: Pile on the blankets, quilts, and throw pillows. Textured or knitted blankets add an extra level of warmth and coziness during chilly autumn and winter months.
- Warm Lighting: Opt for table lamps with warm light bulbs. The soft lighting will make the room feel more intimate and cozy, especially when daylight fades early.
- Area Rugs: A plush area rug can make all the difference in a cold room. It not only adds a layer of insulation but also provides a soft surface for your feet, enhancing the cozy feel.
- Wall Tapestry: Hang a fabric tapestry on one of the walls to break up the usual paint or wallpaper. It adds an extra layer of texture and color that makes the room feel snug.
- Seasonal Scents: Use scented candles or diffusers with fragrances like cinnamon, vanilla, or pine to evoke a sense of warmth and coziness.
By focusing on layers, textures, and warm elements, even a small bedroom can become a cozy haven during the colder months.
Cozy Bedroom Ideas for Couples
- Dual-Sided Electric Blanket: Keep warm together with a dual-sided electric blanket. This allows each person to adjust their side to the temperature they find most comfortable, making for a cozy night’s sleep.
- Candle Wall Sconces: Replace harsh overhead lights with wall sconces that can hold candles. The flickering light will add romance and a cozy atmosphere, especially on cold nights.
- His-and-Hers Reading Lights: If you and your partner enjoy reading before bed, install individual reading lights on either side of the bed. It’s a functional touch that also creates a cozy reading environment.
- Cozy Rugs: Bare feet on cold floors are a no-no in winter. Add a plush rug beside the bed for something warm to step onto. You can even layer rugs for an extra cozy feel.
- Personalized Photo Wall: Create a photo wall with framed pictures of your favorite shared memories. It adds a personal touch that makes the room feel like a haven for your relationship.
- Seasonal Bedding: Switch out your regular bedding for flannel sheets and a heavier comforter during the colder months. It’s a simple change that instantly makes the bed a cozy place to retreat to.
- Chunky Knit Throw: A chunky knit throw at the foot of the bed is not just a stylish addition; it’s perfect for those nights when you want extra warmth.
By focusing on both individual and shared comforts, couples can make their bedroom a cozy haven perfect for hibernating together during the colder months.
Dark Cozy Bedroom Ideas
A dark bedroom can feel particularly cozy and comforting in the cold autumn and winter months but its not always easy to achieve. These ideas will help you create a moody atmosphere whilst keeping the room practical.
- Dark Wall Colors: Opt for dark wall colors like deep navy, charcoal gray, or forest green. These shades absorb light and create a cocoon-like feeling that’s perfect for winter months.
- Velvet or Faux Fur Bedding: The texture of velvet or faux fur brings immediate warmth and luxury to a bedroom. Opt for bedding in rich, dark tones to complement the walls.
- Warm Lighting: Use warm-toned LED bulbs or even better, incorporate table lamps with fabric shades to cast a soft glow throughout the room. This will counterbalance the darkness and add a cozy atmosphere.
- Layered Rugs: Add extra warmth underfoot by layering plush rugs over wooden or tiled floors. Darker colors or patterns can add depth and coziness to the room.
- Dark Wood Accents: Choose furniture and frames in dark wood tones like mahogany or walnut to add a sense of warmth and sophistication. The dark wood will blend naturally with the dark walls, further enhancing the cozy factor.
If you’re asking yourself, ‘how can I make my bedroom look cozy’ then these are the 5 key areas to focus on in order to achieve your desired interior:
- Soft throw blankets
- Warm lighting
- Area rugs
- Plush pillows
- Curtains for window coverage
When it comes to planning the perfect autumn bedroom, there are plenty of things to think about. Along with the material and weight of your bedding, you’ll need to think about its colour too. Choosing warm, neutral tones resonates with a cosy feel in any bedroom, especially in autumn and through winter too.
Read More: 17 Easy Ways to Create a Cosy Home
Pin to Pinterest: