Welcome to our favorite decluttering quotes. We all know that decluttering is more than just having less stuff in our lives; it’s a form of self-care that can transcend the extra space in our entire home. But sometimes, we need that extra push to continue on our decluttering journey.
That’s where motivational and inspirational quotes come into play. A good quote can provide the clarity and drive we need to clear clutter and prioritize what truly matters.
If you’ve ever felt overwhelmed by the sheer volume of things around you, you’re not alone. It’s astonishing how clutter can take over our lives, both physically and mentally.
But worry not, decluttering is more than just a trend; it’s a movement towards simplicity, clarity, and peace.
To inspire you on your decluttering journey, I’ve collated some absolutely wonderful decluttering quotes that will not only provide motivation but may also offer a little chuckle along the way.
Quotes about Clutter
This list of 10 clutter quotes emphasizes the adverse effects and challenges that clutter can present in various aspects of our lives.
- “Clutter steals more than space; it steals peace.”
- “Clutter isn’t just the stuff in your closet; it’s anything that gets between you and the life that you want to be living.” — Peter Walsh
- “Where there is clutter, even valuable things lose their value. Where there is clutter, even beautiful things become obscured.” — Karen Kingston
- “Clutter is not just physical stuff. It’s old ideas, toxic relationships, and bad habits.” — Eleanor Brownn
- “Clutter is the disease of American writing. We are a society strangling in unnecessary words, circular constructions, pompous frills, and meaningless jargon.” — William Zinsser
- “Clutter weighs more than you think.”
- “Clutter is the official language used by corporations to hide their mistakes.” — Walter Kirn
- “Clutter is the endless repetition of steps that get you nowhere.” — Dana K. White
- “Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.” — John Ruskin
- “Clutter is not just a matter of aesthetics; it’s a weight on your soul.”
Motivational Cleaning Quotes
These house cleaning quotes will surely help you clean up, stay clean and be more organised than before.
- “Cleaning and organizing is a practice, not a project.” — Meagan Francis
- “The objective of cleaning is not just to clean, but to feel happiness living within that environment.” — Marie Kondō
- “Cleaning your house while your kids are still growing is like shoveling the walk before it stops snowing.” — Phyllis Diller
- “The more organized you are, the better you will be at everything you do.” — Anonymous
- “Happiness is a freshly cleaned house.” — Unknown
- “When you clear the clutter from your space, you clear it from your mind.” — Helena Alkhas
- “A clean house is a sign of a good life.” — Anonymous
- “Order is the sanity of the mind, the health of the body, the peace of the soul.” — Alexandra Stoddard
- “A tidy house, a tidy mind.” — Lailah Gifty Akita
- “Don’t call it dirt. It’s nature’s confetti!”
Famous Declutter Quotes
If you’ve never started decluttering but plan to, take a read of these famous decluttering your life quotes to help motivate and inspire you.
- “Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful.” – William Morris
- “Clutter is nothing more than postponed decisions.” – Barbara Hemphill
- “The first step in crafting the life you want is to get rid of everything you don’t.” – Joshua Becker
- “The space in which we live should be for the person we are becoming now, not for the person we were in the past.” – Marie Kondo
- “The best way to find out what we really need is to get rid of what we don’t.” – Marie Kondo
- “The more you have, the more you are occupied. The less you have, the more free you are.” – Mother Teresa
- “Clutter is the physical manifestation of unmade decisions fueled by procrastination.” – Christina Scalise
- “Outer order contributes to inner calm.” – Gretchen Rubin
- “When you clear clutter, you make more room for you.” – Marilyn Byfield
- “For every minute spent organizing, an hour is earned.” – Benjamin Franklin
Short Declutter Quotes
Need a short, sharp boost to get started on tidying up your life? Here are 10 short quotes on decluttering that are sure to motivate you to a less cluttered lifestyle
- “Less is more.” – Mies Van Der Rohe
- “Clear clutter. Make space for you.” – Mia Conrad
- “Keep only those things that speak to your heart.” – Marie Kondo
- “Storage is not the solution. Decluttering is.” – Joshua Becker
- “Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” – Leonardo Da Vinci
- “Declutter your mind, your heart, your home.” – Lisa J. Shultz
- “Clutter smothers. Simplicity breathes.” – Terry Guillemets
- “Clutter is stuck energy. The word ‘clutter’ derives from the Middle English word ‘clotter,’ which means to coagulate – and that’s about as stuck as you can get.” – Karen Kingston
- “Tidy house, tidy mind.” – Louise Hay
- “Simplicity boils down to two steps: Identify the essential. Eliminate the rest.” – Leo Babauta
Funny Declutter Quotes
We all like a giggle and that’s why I’ve pulled together this list of funny decluttering quotes to help make the tidying up task a little lighter.
- “My idea of housework is to sweep the room with a glance.” – Erma Bombeck
- “My favorite decluttering technique is a large trash bag.” – Unknown
- “If your house is really a mess and a stranger comes to the door, greet him with, ‘Who could have done this? We have no enemies.'” – Phyllis Diller
- “I’m cleaning out my house. If you ever hear that I’m missing, check the garbage first.” – Unknown
- “Laughter is brightest where the food is.” – Irish Proverb (Okay, not quite decluttering, but if we’re clearing out the kitchen, it counts, right?)
- “A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.” – Unknown
- “You know you have too much clutter when you have to move things around to take a photo.” – Unknown
- “I’m on a cleaning diet. I’ve already lost three friends.” – Unknown
- “I’d like to make a toast to dirty dishes.” – Unknown
- “I clean when I’m upset. Therefore, if my house is clean, it means I’m really pissed off.” – Unknown
Decluttering Captions for Instagram
If you’re looking for cleaning quotes that work for Instagram we have this list of quotes about decluttering your life to help share with your followers.
- “Finding beauty in simplicity.”
- “Marie Kondo-ing my life.”
- “If it doesn’t spark joy, it’s time to say goodbye.”
- “Turning clutter into clarity, one room at a time.”
- “Decluttering: The best form of self-care.”
- “Clear home, clear mind.”
- “Today’s to-do list: Declutter, breathe, repeat.”
- “Less stuff, more happiness.”
- Simplicity is the ultimate luxury.”
- “Goodbye clutter, hello peace.”
- “Less mess, more clarity. Declutter your space, declutter your mind.”
- “Embrace the magic of minimalism. Let go to let in.”
- “In every corner and crevice, find beauty in simplicity.”
- “The most liberating way to find joy: declutter, then breathe deeply.”
- “Letting go is the ultimate luxury. Revel in the space you create.”
- “Every item removed is another step towards peace.”
- “Clear space, clear mind. Transformation is just a declutter away.”
- “Out with the old, in with the new energy, new dreams, and new passions.”
- “Surround yourself with what sparks joy. Let the rest go.”
- “In the symphony of life, sometimes less truly is more.”
Motivational Declutter Quotes
We all need a little help when it comes to clearing clutter from our lives, so these motivational quotes about cleaning up all aspects of our world will help get you started.
- “The first step in getting what you want out of life is this: Decide what you want.” – Ben Stein
- “Clutter is not just physical stuff. It’s old ideas, toxic relationships, and bad habits.” – Eleanor Brown
- “Keep the best, let go of the rest.” – Peter Walsh
- “One of the most freeing things we learn in life is that we don’t have to like everyone, everyone doesn’t have to like us, and that’s OK.” – Unknown
- “The more you let go, the higher you rise.” – Karen A. Baquiran
- “Edit your life frequently and ruthlessly. It’s your masterpiece after all.” – Nathan W. Morris
- “Release to create space for something better.” – Cheryl Richardson
- “Clearing clutter—be it physical, mental, emotional, or spiritual—brings about ease and inspires a sense of peace, calm, and tranquility.” – Laurie Buchanan
- “Getting rid of clutter eliminates 40% of housework in the average home.” – Oprah Winfrey
- “Your home is living space, not storage space.” – Francine Jay
Tidying Up Quotes
This list of quotes on tidiness help inspire you to clear up the mess and begin the decluttering process.
- “To truly cherish the things that are important to you, you must first discard those that have outlived their purpose.” – Marie Kondo
- “Tidying can transform your life.” – Marie Kondo
- “If it doesn’t matter, get rid of it.”
- “When we really delve into the reasons for why we can’t let something go, there are only two: an attachment to the past or a fear for the future.” – Marie Kondo
- “The act of decluttering and tidying helps you take control of how you’re living and how you’re feeling about your life.” – Karen Kingston
- “Start by discarding. Then organize your space, thoroughly, completely, in one go.” – Marie Kondo
- “When your room is clean and uncluttered, you have no choice but to examine your inner state.” – Marie Kondo
- “It’s about a fresh start. It’s about life and death. It’s about rebirth. It’s the effort of the monks that goes into the creation of the sand mandala, and the letting go of it.” – Julie Morgenstern
- “Everything you own should have value, either because it’s functional or beautiful or you just love it.” – Peter Walsh
- “The objective of cleaning is not just to clean, but to feel happiness living within that environment.” – Marie Kondo
Decluttering Clothes Quotes
Decluttering, especially our wardrobes, can be a freeing and transformative process. We all hoard extra stuff that we no longer need, so spending time reducing the amount of clutter in our wardrobes, and in fact our entire house, can have a powerful effect on our wellbeing.
- “The first step in crafting the life you want is to get rid of everything you don’t.” — Joshua Becker
- “Clutter is not just the stuff on your floor—it’s anything that stands between you and the life you want to be living.” — Peter Walsh
- “The more you have, the more you are occupied. The less you have, the more free you are.” — Mother Teresa
- “Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful.” — William Morris
- “When you let go of the things that don’t serve you, you create space for what’s meant for you.” — Anonymous
- “Clear clutter—make space for you.” — Magdalena Vandenberg
- “Decluttering isn’t just simplifying your life. It’s having a vision, setting new priorities and using those notions to get rid of obstacles.” — Christine Platt
- “We don’t need to increase our goods nearly as much as we need to scale down our wants. Not wanting something is as good as possessing it.” — Donald Horban
- “Simplicity involves unburdening your life, and living more lightly with fewer distractions that interfere with a high-quality life, as defined uniquely by each individual.” — Linda Breen Pierce
- “Keeping baggage from the past will leave no room for the happiness in the future.” — Wayne L. Misner
Quotes about Decluttering Friends
Decluttering one’s social circle or reevaluating relationships can be just as transformative as decluttering physical spaces. Here are 10 quotes that touch on this concept:
- “Letting go doesn’t mean that you don’t care about someone anymore. It’s just realizing that the only person you really have control over is yourself.” – Deborah Reber
- “Sometimes it’s necessary to let friendships go to make room for better ones.”
- “Not everyone you lose is a loss.”
- “You cannot hang out with negative people and expect to live a positive life.” – Joel Osteen
- “It’s better to have an enemy who slaps you in the face than a friend who stabs you in the back.”
- “Letting go of toxic people is a big step in loving yourself.” – Hussein Nishah
- “You are the average of the five people you spend the most time with.” – Jim Rohn
- “Friendships are like your wardrobe, sometimes you just outgrow them.”
- “Surround yourself only with people who are going to take you higher.” – Oprah Winfrey
- “It’s not about having a group of friends, it’s about having quality ones.”
Remember, personal growth often requires reevaluating and prioritizing relationships that add value to our lives and letting go of those that don’t.
Quotes for Decluttering the Mind
Removing mental clutter is a powerful way to improve your mental health and wellbeing. We often carry a lot of baggage in our minds, and embracing lighter living should start with one’s thoughts. Here are 10 declutter your mind quotes to help get you on the right track.
- “The mind is just like a muscle – the more you exercise it, the stronger it gets and the more it can expand.” – Idowu Koyenikan
- “A clear mind makes for a more productive and efficient day.” – David Allen
- “When we clear the physical clutter from our lives, we literally make way for inspiration and ‘good, orderly direction’ to enter.” – Julia Cameron
- “Clarity affords focus.” – Thomas Leonard
- “Clutter is the enemy of clarity.” – Alex Fayle
- “The ability to simplify means to eliminate the unnecessary so that the necessary may speak.” – Hans Hofmann
- “It’s not the daily increase but daily decrease. Hack away at the unessential.” – Bruce Lee
- “Minds are like flowers; they open only when the time is right.” – Stephen Richards
- “A cluttered mind will never lead you to a clear path.” – Christina Scalise
- “The secret of happiness, you see, is not found in seeking more, but in developing the capacity to enjoy less.” – Socrates
Inspirational Decluttering Quotes
If you’ve been looking for some declutter your life quotes, these inspirational examples will give you food for thought.
- “The beauty of letting go is that it gives you the space to see what’s left.” – Nealey Stapleton
- “Decluttering isn’t just simplifying your life. It’s having a vision, setting new priorities and using those notions as a beacon in the months and years ahead.” – Peter Walsh
- “The easiest way to organize your stuff is to get rid of most of it.” – Joshua Becker
- “In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.” – Albert Einstein
- “Decluttering is not just something to do when you’re cleaning up. It’s a way to challenge the unconscious barriers you’re setting up for yourself.” – Mel Robbins
- “Your environment is a reflection of your mind, and cluttered spaces can lead to cluttered thinking. Organizing can literally free up mental space.” – Amy Morin
- “The point of simple living, for me has got to be: A soft place to land, a wide margin of error, room to breathe, lots of places to find baseline happiness in each and every day.” – Leo Babauta
- “The more you subtract, the more you add.” – Dieter Rams
- “You can’t reach for anything new if your hands are still full of yesterday’s junk.” – Louise Smith
- By simplifying our lives, we rediscover our child-like stalk of innocents that reconnects us with the central resin of being human.” – Vic Desotelle
Is decluttering good for mental health?
Absolutely! Decluttering can bring a sense of accomplishment, reduce anxiety, and boost your mood by creating a more harmonious living space. Declutter the mind quotes are a good way to find inspiration for the journey ahead.
What is the Japanese art of decluttering?
The Japanese art of decluttering, popularized by Marie Kondo, is about keeping items that “spark joy” and respectfully letting go of the rest.
What does Marie Kondo say?
Marie Kondo emphasizes the idea that we should surround ourselves only with items that “spark joy.” If something doesn’t bring happiness, thank it for its service and let it go.
What is a famous saying about clutter?
“Out of clutter, find simplicity.” — Albert Einstein
This quote emphasizes the idea that simplicity and clarity can emerge from disorder and complexity. It’s a testament to the power of organization and the peace that can come from decluttering one’s surroundings and mind.
And there we have it, a total of 110 decluttering quotes to spark motivation and inspire change in your life.
Whether you’re taking on the mammoth task of decluttering your entire home, trying to live a simpler life, or just trying to find peace of mind, remember that with each item or thought you let go, you’re creating space for new memories, new ideas, and new opportunities. Keep going and embrace the journey towards a simplified, joy-filled life.
Share your decluttering journey or favorite quotes with us. Sending loads of positive energy your way!
If you like this article then check out the others in our Quotes series: