The exciting news here at Love Chic Living HQ, is that next year we’re hoping to convert the attic. Plans and drawings are being done as we speak, and we may even have a builder commissioned by the end of the year. So, my creative juices are well and truly flowing and I’ve been starting to think about what we will be able to do with the space.
We are hoping to convert the attic into a bedroom and en-suite. It’s not huge so we’ll need to add a decent sized dormer to the back of the house and think carefully on how to utilise the room. It would be great to create a bedroom free from clutter; a light, bright room with a minimal, industrial feel, and a bathroom to match.
The main problem is going to be creating a decent sized bedroom area, and having enough left for the en-suite. So, it’s time to get my thinking cap on and consider all the possibilities for saving space in the bathroom.
Here’s what I’ve come up with so far, but I’m sure there’s plenty more yet:
1. Ditch the bath and just go for a shower room, hopefully this should create enough space for a larger shower cubicle.
2. Go for a wall hanging toilet. Although it won’t actually save space, it will give an illusion of more space throughout the floor.
3. Use a space saving basin like some I’ve seen at Click Basins, and you never know I might even be able to squeeze in a ‘his’ and ‘hers’.
4. Think about the paint and finish. Light reflecting paint will help the space feel bigger.
5. Storage will be very important and maybe look at how we can incorporate built-in and recessed storage into the build itself.
6. Creating a unified space will help it feel roomier. Wall and floor tiles to match give more a flow to the room, rather than it feeling broken up with different colours and textures.
7. Forego a door and create a room that flows from the main bedroom, possibly even removing some of the dividing wall allowing the space to feel more open and spacious.
Whilst I don’t think we’ll have space for this, I love the idea of the glass wall separating the bedroom from the en-suite area.
Would you suggest any other ways to maximise the space we can use in the attic en-suite conversion?
The BEST Interior Stores in one Place!
A definitive guide to the online and high street interior shops I use for my home and the blog!
Download the FREE Guide now.
I understand that by downloading the guide I may receive direct marketing material in relation to interiors and lifestyle brands and products.